Wrongful Death Lawyer in Westfield, Indiana

When a family prematurely loses a loved one, the sense of loss can be emotionally devastating. These feelings can be intensified when the cause of the loss of a loved one results from carelessness, inattention, or an intentional act of violence. Our Hamilton County wrongful death lawyers are committed to pursuing justice for victims who can no longer speak for themselves and to seeking the compensation surviving family members need to overcome the financial loss of a household breadwinner. Our litigators at Webster & Garino LLC offer legal representation in a broad range of cases involving fatalities that include motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, defective product cases, pedestrian accidents, workplace accidents, and other fatal incidents.

Wrongful Death FAQs

What is a wrongful death lawsuit?

A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil lawsuit filed to recover compensation for expenses related to an individual’s death when that person’s death comes about because of another person’s careless acts. A wrongful death lawsuit may arise from a car accident, a construction site or workplace accident, medical malpractice, or under any other similar set of circumstances. Because the person who is killed (obviously) cannot file a lawsuit on his or her own behalf, another individual must bring the lawsuit on behalf of the decedent.

How soon must I file a wrongful death lawsuit in Indiana?

Like any other personal injury case, a wrongful death lawsuit in Indiana must be initiated within two years from the date that the decedent was killed. There may be additional time granted if it is not immediately clear that another person’s carelessness was the cause of the decedent’s death. If, however, the cause of the decedent’s death is clearly the negligence of another, then this two-year time period will begin to elapse the date of the decedent’s passing. If a lawsuit is not filed before two years have passed, any subsequently-filed wrongful death lawsuit will not be able to progress in the courts.

Am I able to file a wrongful death lawsuit?

In Indiana, only certain individuals are empowered by law to file wrongful death lawsuits on behalf of decedents. When the decedent is an adult, then the personal representative who is appointed to handle the decedent’s affairs and estate is the one who is also able to file and pursue a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the decedent. If the decedent is a child, then the child’s parents are the ones who file a wrongful death lawsuit, if appropriate.

Indianapolis Metro Wrongful Death Claims

If you have had someone you love prematurely taken from you by the negligent or intentional conduct of another individual, business, or government entity, our law firm has the experience you need when taking on well-funded insurance companies. Call (317) 565-1818 to arrange a free consultation.

Webster & Garino LLC

104 N. Union Street
Westfield, IN 46074
Tel: (317) 565-1818
Fax: (317) 565-1835